I’m delighted to announce the publication of the free, on-line 2022 Complement for the regulation faculty textbook Firearms Regulation and the Second Modification: Regulation, Rights, and Coverage (Third Version). My coauthors on the Complement and the third version of the textbook are Nicholas J. Johnson, George A. Mocsary, E. Gregory Wallace, and Donald Kilmer.
The Complement is 175 pages, and covers developments because the summer season of 2021, when the textbook entered ultimate manufacturing. The Complement begins with 98 pages on the Supreme Court docket’s June 2022 resolution in New York State Rifle & Pistol Affiliation v. Bruen. Most of that materials is the Bruen opinion, plus the three concurrences, and the dissent, all in full. Our model could also be just a little simpler on the eyes than the slip opinion on the Court docket’s web site, or variations on different websites, since we take the freedom of eradicating some parallel cites (e.g., to Lawyer’s Ed. second), and we make some changes to the Court docket’s idiosyncratic abbreviation model (e.g., we use “U.S” as an alternative of “U. S.”).
Extra importantly, we additionally present a six-page rationalization of the “Bruen Guidelines,” equivalent to Bruen‘s directions on how to attract analogies from historic gun management legal guidelines to trendy ones, and on Bruen‘s permissible limits on the fitting to bear arms.
Within the typical sample for textbook dietary supplements, there are a lot of quick summaries of necessary new instances, statutes, and so forth. Some subjects that obtain prolonged therapy embody:
- The ATF’s actions in opposition to compelled reset triggers.
- An in-depth evaluation of the key new federal gun management regulation, the June 2022 “Bipartisan Safer Communities Act.” This can be a visitor essay by Professor Robert Leider.
- A proof by lawyer Johanna Reeves of the ATF’s new “Body or Receiver” rule.
- A serious excerpt from the ninth Circuit’s Jones v. Bonta, which upheld a California statute that younger grownup lengthy gun patrons (18-20) should first receive a looking license, and which held unconstitutional a ban on them buying semiautomatic rifles.
- An essay on armed citizen protection in Ukraine.
We hope you discover the Complement helpful!